Friday, September 25, 2026

The Butcher's Tale

Margaret Thatcher was a grocer’s daughter…
George: I was just reading an article about Naomi Eaton, the movie star. Seems she grew up in the same town as you.
Rupert: Yes, though she was a bit older than me.
George: The article noted she passed away at the relatively young age of 60 several years ago. Did you ever know her or run into her?
Rupert: I didn't know her personally, but I remember her family because her father was the local butcher.
George: No kidding! Where was the shop?
Rupert: Right down the road from our house. My mother used to send me down there sometimes to buy sausages.
George: Fascinating. Do you have any memories of the shop?
Rupert: Her father was always draped in his blue striped apron, with rows of sausages hanging from ceiling hooks. And he had tattoos covering his forearms. Maybe from his time in the Navy, dunno.


George:
I always had the impression Naomi came from an artsy kind of family.
Rupert: Well, my mother knew her mother, and she was the one who encouraged Naomi to take on roles in the local repertory theatre productions.
___________
Voice-over
Maybe the father also gave Naomi a boost. André Simon observed people in food preparation are like actors; they must be fit and strong, since acting and cooking are two of the most exacting professions. Rupert recalls the shop almost as a personal theatre with the butcher standing behind his counter performing.

No comments: