Friday, September 27, 2024

Olivia and Orwell

Elizabeth thinks Olivia is reading Animal Farm…
Olivia: No, Elizabeth, it’s not Animal Farm. It’s 1984. You know, the one about a dystopian future where everything is controlled by Big Brother.
Elizabeth: Oh, I see. So, you’re reading about a world where pigs don’t have to sew dresses either?
Olivia: Oho. Hilarious. At least I’m expanding my mind. What are you doing? Sewing tiny dresses for plush toys?
Elizabeth: Hey, those tiny dresses bring joy to a lot of plush toys. And besides, I don’t hear you complaining when you get a new outfit.
Olivia: Touché. But I still think reading Orwell is a bit more intellectually stimulating than sewing.
Elizabeth: Stimulating, huh? I bet you just like the idea of a world where you can boss everyone around, like Napoleon in Animal Farm.
Olivia: Oh pulease, if anyone’s a dictator around here, it’s you with your sewing schedule. ‘Olivia, hold this fabric! Olivia, fetch me the scissors!’
Elizabeth: Well, someone has to keep you busy. Otherwise, you’d just be lounging around with your nose in a book all day.
Olivia: And what’s wrong with that? At least I’m not making a mess with thread and fabric scraps everywhere.
Elizabeth: Mess? You mean the creative chaos of making beautiful dresses? Maybe you should try it sometime. It might be a nice break from all that ‘intellectual stimulation’.
Olivia: I’ll pass, thanks. But if you ever need a critique on Orwell’s portrayal of totalitarian regimes, just ask.
Elizabeth: And if you ever need a fabulous new dress to wear while reading, feel free.
________
Voice-over
Elizabeth and Olivia seem well-matched and well-read in this tennis of taunts.

No comments: