Friday, August 9, 2019

Archivist of Navigators: John Dunmore


Reminiscing on a mentor from 40 years ago...
.
Jules: He interviewed me for my first academic job. He mentored me in research, suggested what I should do in the way of bridging courses, who I should approach as supervisors. I got where I went in no small part by his guidance.
.
Adèle: I remember him well. And it seems he’s not finished yet. Still writing in his mid-90s, after 30 historical accounts, novels, articles, book chapters and radio dramas.
.
Jules: He encouraged me. He gave me a place to work and study undistractedly in a quiet university town. Through him I appreciated Palmerston North as an academic and artistic feeding ground before my own migration.
.
Adèle: Research as the measure of a life. Multiple awards and honours. It was un honneur to have known him.
Massey News 2008: JD
_________
Voice-over
John Dunmore, professor at Massey University 1966 to 1985, also publisher, writer, playwright. After downloading his book on Dumont d’Urville, From Venus to Antarctica, Jules sets off on a google journey following the digital trail of this explorer of French navigators such as Jean-François-Marie de Surville and Louis-Antoine de Bougainville.
...

No comments: