Friday, February 5, 2021

The Art of Obituary Writing

Some tips on how it’s done…

Interviewer: Which days do you write?

Ann: Each Monday I have to choose from a list of four or five, so that day I’m immersed in reading, taking 20 to 30 pages of notes, Tuesdays I’m writing for the 5 pm deadline.

Interviewer: Who do you choose?

Ann: A variety. Someone perhaps less well-known. My heart sinks when someone enormously famous dies, like Thatcher.

Interviewer: The content?

Ann: I look for an interesting life, quirky stories. Like the man who sailed across the world navigating by watching weed on the water. Or the Wuhan doctor who loved food.

Interviewer: The structure?

Ann: The opening paragraph is a story. Less like conventional journalism,  I like to go from the small details to the big picture, from the particular to the general. I avoid chronology. The final paragraph can be elegiac, perhaps recalling the first paragraph.

Interviewer: The voice?

Ann: I try to channel them through their quotations from interviews. Tell their own story.

Interviewer: So it’s their words?

Ann: Yes, I don’t try to connect the dots, to invent. It’s not a novel.

Interviewer: I know a lot of people turn to the obituary at the end of the paper to begin.

Ann: Well, it’s an easier lead-in to the politics and economics leaders which talk at you.

__________

Voice-over

A distillation of the thoughts of the accomplished Ann Wroe, obituaries editor for The Economist.

No comments: