Thursday, November 26, 2020

Repurposing a Gentlemen's Club

Change of management…

Reflecting society of 1904
René: You’re still a member of the club?
Guy: Yes. You know how it came about. My father pushed me into it, at the time I felt a bit pressured but I thought I can resign anytime. After a few years of paying annual fees and never using it, I decided to resign. I mean what relevance is a “gentlemen’s club” in the 21st century? So I went into the manager’s office and there was a glamorous woman behind the desk. “Hi, I’m the new manager,” she says and talked about changes. Well, I paid the fee.
René: And has she wrought changes?
Guy: Oh yes, very wrought for some old-timers. There are women members now, more bathrooms, a coffee shop, meeting rooms, events. Progress. Oh, and staying a night is half the rate of a hotel. Savings covers the annual fee.
_________
Voice-over

Old chaps going in for a drink before going home for dinner seemed an inefficient way to run an old heritage building with high maintenance costs. A new business plan turned it around. Took a woman to reimagine its role, reweave the social fabric, refuel the flame.

No comments: