Monday, November 21, 2016

2019: Golfing while Washington Burns

Three years from now…
.
Epaphroditus: The game’s up, Nero. The people are demanding elections again.
.
Nero: No problem. Write me some more mud-slinging metaphors like “Drain the swamp” and sound bites like “Build a wall.” Spice them up with conspiracy theories like “Global warming is a hoax”, fake news and hate speech.
.
Epaphroditus: OK, chief.
.
Nero: And I’ll keep tweeting them out there. Ramp up more attacks on more minorities so the masses will get scared and go out and vote. Did the trick in 2016.
.
Epaphroditus: Winning formula. Do the numbers. Uneducated outnumber the educated. 
.
Nero: Can’t lose. And then I just carry on being emperor. Can I go back to my tower now?
____________
Voice-over

History repeats. Populism is something Lenin and Mao tapped into too. 
.
.

No comments: