Monday, September 22, 2014

Thanking Someone for Their Unconsciously Spreading Happiness

Catch ball after a picnic
Déjeuner approaches young couple in the park…

Déjeuner: Excuse me, it’s nothing really. I just wanted to say…

(
Young man looks worried, young woman less so.)


Déjeuner: I was having lunch, over there, on my porch, and watching you play catch ball. Your joy and laughter made my lunch taste better.

(
Young man relaxes, young woman smiles.)


Déjeuner: I just wanted to say “thank you” for my lunchtime entertainment. You live close by?

Young woman: Quite far. Yokohama. For a picnic here.


Déjeuner: That’s pretty far. Mind the mosquitoes. There’s been some dengue…

Young woman: We’ve been bitten. (Scratching at welts.) We’re packing up.


Déjeuner: I have some mosquito balm at home.

Young woman: It’s OK. Really. We’ll get some at the station.


Déjeuner: Thanks again and good luck!
___________
Voice-over
In saying “thank you” for something serendipitous, words have to be chosen, mollifiers to allay anxiety need to be chosen. Imagine if Déjeuner had said, “Excuse me, I want a word with you two.” The young woman picks up quicker on the mollifiers than the young man. Ever wanted to express gratitude to someone (a catch ball-playing couple laughing and leaping) or something (a flower unexpectedly blooming) for bringing a smile to your face?

No comments: