Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Navigational Dyslexia


Olaf is off-course and asks directions from a helpful Helena…
Olaf: How do I get from the airport to the Central Station? Can you draw me a map?
Helena: (draws map) Well, here’s the airport and you go along the road, and it turns a bit, and then here’s the station.
Olaf: This map’s only got two points connected by a wiggly line.
Helena: (giggles) I’m a bit dyslexic when it comes to maps.
Olaf: Reading dyslexia I’ve heard of. This I know. But navigational dyslexia? Never heard of that.
Helena: I get lost easily. I get nervous going to new places. And I can’t draw maps. I find my way by landmarks.
________
Voice-over
Dyslexia: a general term for disorders in learning to read or interpret words, numbers, and other symbols. Limitations can cause anxieties. Perhaps Helena compensates by setting out for a new location with plenty of time in hand. She may even take a map, a compass, and photos of landmarks to guide her. But she’s just as likely to use her interpersonal skills and ask for help.
...

No comments: