Saturday, April 18, 2009

Citizenship

Jun asks his sister Keiko about her taking out New Zealand citizenship and giving up her Japanese nationality.

...









Jun: You’ll give up your Japanese citizenship, then?


Keiko: It’s a new start for me. I can forget.


Jun: But you're still Japanese.


Keiko: It’s not been an easy decision. All my life, I’ve thought of myself as Japanese. Suddenly, I won’t be. But I’m ready for the shock.


Jun: You’re still family. But friends? What do they say?


Keiko: I’ve been away twenty years. I’ve changed, friends have changed. And I have friends in New Zealand.


Jun: Your identity?


Keiko: Yes. I’m still Japanese. Standing on this bridge, I am conscious of the spirits in this shrine. Memories like that I cannot erase.

___________

Voice-over


Yes, it could have been written for a Japanese movie. But giving up any citizenship is giving up a lot. Family, identity, friends, culture, language… If the new family, identity, friends, culture, language don’t measure up, is it worth it…?

...

No comments: