Monday, July 14, 2008

Torture

Voices off…

...

Tell me.

Maybe tomorrow.

Come on. Don’t keep me in suspense. You’re torturing me.

Huh! Torture? Waterboarding? And worse? Like Abu Ghraib? Guantanamo?

Well…

Don’t get me started on semantics. You saw Taxi to the Dark Side, right?

Shocking. All those leaders and soldiers, people we trusted…

So maybe I’m teasing, I wouldn’t say I’m torturing you.

_____________

Voiceover

Words become loaded when associated with shocking events. Nazis, Holocaust, ethnic cleansing are not words you can use lightly.

The generic expression “torture” seems to have joined that group, hung there by Alex Gibney’s documentary, a film in which there are no winners, especially among the leaders and soldiers but also among those whose patriotism triumphs over their reason.

...

No comments: