Thursday, September 5, 2019

Closing of Cocomaru?


What a pity…
.
Hiroshi: I think Cocomaru is struggling. I went by today and only two films were showing.
.
Hiroko: I went by a couple of days ago and the shutters were rolled down. Not even open. Notice flapping in the wind.
.
Hiroshi: It was open today. Sort of. But definitely in trouble. No one in the box office. I asked the shop next door if the theater was still in business and he said he thought they were clearing out.
.
Hiroko: Business model always did seem to be the elephant in the room.
.
Hiroshi: Despite the most enthusiastic managing, many small businesses call it quits for reasons like inexperience or insufficient capital.
.
Hiroko: Crowdfunding all burned up so no payouts for the contributors I guess.
_________
Voice-over
Cocomaru was a unique art theatre. Oasis among the sometimes kitschy commerce of Kichijoji. Can be hard to make a sustainable profit out of alternative culture though.
...

No comments: