Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Parallel universe or double vision?

Anniversary…
.
Tengo: You know, a year ago it was, I had an operation.
.
Komatsu: I know.
.
Tengo: Even now, I’m not sure whether I died on the operating table, and that I’m now just imagining I’m alive in this Murakami-like parallel universe.
.
Komatsu: 1Q84?
.
Tengo: Precisely. I mean, I even LIVE in Murakami’s suburb, Koenji.
.
Two moons, or one?
Komatsu: But there’s a simple test. Are there two moons in your sky? There were in Murakami’s.
.
Tengo: Yes. There ARE two moons in my sky. Have been ever since I woke up from the operation a year ago.
.
Komatsu: So who are the REAL inhabitants of your parallel universe? Am I alive or dead?
____________
Voice-over

Komatsu should worry indeed that he might not be alive. But it could be merely that Tengo has double vision that he sees two moons and therefore thinks he lives in a parallel universe. However, novels are rarely THAT simple, and you can be sure that Murakami never intended such a plain explanation.
...

No comments: