Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Juliet Departs from Romeo by Elevator


One kiss and I'll descend
On a balcony…
Juliet:
My lord, by yonder blessed moon I swear,
That trips with silver all these fruit tree-tops –
Romeo:
O swear not by the moon, the inconstant moon,
That monthly changes in her circled orb
Lest that thy love prove otherwise variable.
Juliet:
What shall I swear by?
Romeo:
Do not swear at all
Or if thou wilt,
Swear by thy gracious self,
Which is the goddess of my idolatry
And I’ll believe thee.
I must hear from thee
Every i’ the hour
For in a minute, there are many days
O by this count I shall be much in years
‘Ere I behold my Juliet.
Juliet:
Farewell.
I will miss no opportunity
That may convey my greetings love to thee.
One kiss and I’ll descend. [She climbs down from the balcony via the tree]
Romeo:
Art thou gone so?
My lady, my lover, my friend.

_______________
Voice-over
A modern adaptation of Romeo and Juliet which reverses gender roles.
And changes the order of lines slightly.
I would add that the director could have Juliet departing by ELEVATOR or perhaps by BUS in an aggressively contemporary version.
Suggested by the 1996 remake by Baz Luhrman, with Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes.
...

No comments: