What are the downsides?
Ken: Well, bushfires for starters. Climate change is making them nastier. And then there’s the sudden flooding. One minute dry, next minute your backyard’s a lake.
Paul: See, that’s exactly what worries me. NZ feels… calmer. Not used to spiders and poisonous animals.
Ken: I always thought NZers were mostly terrified of snakes.
Paul: Well, yes, snakes too. How often do you actually see one?
Ken: Yesterday. I was on the ride‑on mower, and a red-belly was sliding through the grass right beside me.
Paul: That’s… very close.
Ken: Oh, that’s nothing. Last week one got inside the house.
Paul: Inside?
Ken: Under the couch. The one you’re sitting on, actually.
Paul: Right. Well. I imagine you have anti‑venom in the house?
Ken: Oh yes. (picks up an axe lying on the hearth) This quite often stops the venom spreading.
Paul: …I see.
Saturday, August 22, 2026
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment