Thursday, March 1, 2012

Dyslexic Storytelling


Walt receives this postcard......
WHITE RABBIT?  BLAM!
Walt: He warned me. He said, “Don’t say it this month!”
Clint: Say what?
Walt: You know. It’s the first of the month. Sent me this postcard. He gets irritated when I say it every first of the month.
Clint: Sorry, I’ve lost you. What is this thing you were warned not to say?
Walt: White Rabbit.
Clint: Ah, the monthly good luck routine! Who said, “Don’t say it?”
Walt: Fox. Last month he warned me. He said, “White Rabbit? BLAM!” Then I get this postcard from him. A posse of rabbit shooters. And a running board draped with ten dead rabbits.
Clint: Unkind.
Walt: But I said it anyway. White Rabbit, White Rabbit, White Rabbit.
___________________
Voice-over
Walt is one of those people who begin their stories in the middle. Neglects to say who originally did what to whom. Needs prompting: “Sorry, I’ve lost you.” 
Like a dyslexic reader whose eye movements are uncontrolled, a dyslexic storyteller doesn’t process the events coherently.
...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Misunderstandings occur when people insist on their own opinions or beliefs. I agree. even endangered beliefs like “White Rabbitism” should be protected. It’s like protecting “endangered cultures.”

Barry Natusch said...

Believing even in humorous concepts can sometimes enrage the humorless.