Thursday, December 27, 2018

Symbolism of bread and wine


Post Christmas...
.
Cathy: Did you attend a church service?
.
Angela: We did, at a small church on a hill, established in the 1850s. Elegant small wooden structure, not so many people, but a service led by a vicar who tries to make the comments contemporary, and provides meals for the needy.
.
Cathy: Do you go to church often?
.
Angela: At Christmas I try to reconnect with the attempts my mother made to instill piety in us. Father thought that was a worthy way for Sunday to be spent, but he wasn't as committed to the endeavor as my mother.
.
Cathy: Do you take communion?
.
Take, eat this wafer
as a symbol of my body
Angela: Where the priest gives out bread saying “Take, eat, this is my body.”
.
Cathy: Followed by “Drink, this is my blood.” Catholics believe the bread and wine become his body and blood. Do you?
.
Angela: Nominally, I suppose I am Anglican but unlike many, I regard it only as a metaphor, as a symbol.
.
Cathy: Pragmatism?
.
Angela: Linguistics in a scientific age.
___________
Voice-over
“Take, eat, this is My body” (Matthew 26:26). Then He passed the cup to them saying, “Drink from it, all of you, for this is My blood” (Matthew 26:27-28). Now, a wafer symbolizes the bread, and grape juice symbolizes the wine.
...

No comments: