Saturday, April 19, 2008

The fragility of the politeness of bank tellers

Sarge comes on duty to take over the teller’s counter while Dave takes a lunch break.

Sarge: Morning OK?

Dave: Kind of rough.

Sarge: (typing in password) Yeah?

Dave: You can say that again.

Sarge: Again?

Dave: The first hour I was polite.

Sarge: You are always polite, Dave.

Dave: I was my usual Dave the first hour. But 11 to 12, whew. I was my smiling self, but it was close.

Sarge: Close to?

Dave: Close to a blow-up. I mean, one woman brought in a hundred and seventy-five dollars in 1s, 2s and 5 cent pieces. Fifteen people in the line behind her as she counted them out. That sort of morning.

___________

Voiceover

The service industry: being nice to customers. It takes a toll on even the most naturally equable. Some banks refuse to accept those itty bitty cent pieces. But this bank, concerned about its public image, and needing to attract more customers, has a manager who exhorts his employees every morning: “Give them anything they want, with a big, big smile.” Could a beautician and a manicurist also help this branch's public image?

...

No comments: